For Your Information


General Loan
Q. Do I need to be a member of SCCCU in order to apply for a loan?
A. No, you don't need to be a member of the CU to apply. However if you are approved for a loan you will then need to open a membership.
Q. What kind of documentation do I need for the loan?
A. We require our applicants to fill out a complete application. We require one month of recent pay stubs. If you're self-employed, a copy of your last two years of tax returns, including all schedules, will be required.
Q. Should I call to set an appointment before turning in my application?
A. An appointment is not necessary. You can drop off your application at either of our branch offices or you can mail or fax it. You can also securely submit your application through our website.
Q. How long is the loan process?
A. Consumer Loans usually take 24 to 48 hours. A Mortgage Loan could take up to 2 to 3 weeks. A Business Loan could take up to 4 to 6 weeks.
Q. If I currently have or had bad credit in the past can I still apply for a loan?
A. Yes. When processing your application we will determine if you qualify for a loan, or we may have other loan options.
Q. Does the Credit Union share my personal information with other companies?
A. No, we do not sell or share member information with other companies. The Credit Union does report all loan information to the credit reporting agencies that may include Experian, Trans Union, and Equifax.
Q. What is a FICO Score and how will a FICO Score affect my rate?

A FICO Score is a factor that lenders use when determining your credit risk. These factors are made up of the following:

  • Payment History
  • Amounts Owed
  • Length of Credit History
  • New Credit
  • Types of Credit Use

Most Lenders determine what your rate will be according to your FICO Score. However, lenders look at many things when making a credit decision including your income, how long you have worked at your present job, and the kind of credit you are requesting.

Deposit Accounts
Q. When do my savings and checking account statements arrive?
A. Checking account statements arrive the first week of every month. Savings account statements are sent out quarterly and are included on the same page as your checking account statement if you have both types of accounts. You can receive your statements electronically for free to reduce paper waste.
Q. Why is there a $9.00 fee showing up on my account at the end of this month? I thought that as long as I kept $100 in my savings I wouldn't get a monthly fee.
A. The $9 is probably an excessive withdrawal fee. If you keep at least $300 in your savings account, this fee is waived. However, if your balance is below $300 you may only withdraw money from your savings account one time each month without incurring a fee. There is a $1 fee for each additional withdrawal. To avoid a $2 monthly fee, you must maintain a minimum daily balance of $100 in your savings account.
Q. Why did the ATM receipt print that I only have $50? I know that I have at least $55.
A. The ATM prints what you have available. Since $5 has to stay in your account at all times it does not include that amount on your receipt.
Q. Why did some of my checks bounce this month? I have overdraft protection coming from my savings account and I have more than enough money to cover those checks.
A. Reg D is a government regulation that allows up to 6 automatic transfers from a savings account per month. Once the 6th withdrawal has taken place, your requests to transfer funds from your savings account by telephone transfers, automatic payments, or overdraft protection will not be processed.
Q. Why did I get a $25 fee for a debit card purchase that was authorized? My old ATM wouldn't allow me to withdraw money from my account if it wasn't available.
A. Some merchants will authorize an amount greater or less than the actual purchase amount. To keep better track of what is in your account we recommend tracking your purchases with a check register just as you would with your checks.
Q. I deposited my payroll check into my account using another ATM machine but now I can't access those funds. I thought that they would be available the next business day.
A. There is usually a six-business-day hold on the funds deposited at an ATM other than your own financial institution. It is up to the other financial institution to release the funds. We suggest using our ATM or using our night deposit drop if you need the funds by the next business day. Note: ALL checks deposited into your account are subject to our check hold policy.
Q. Can I deposit my wife's tax return check into my account? I've been a member for over 10 years.
A. You can deposit your wife's tax return check only if she is a signer on your account and she has endorsed the check. Third party government checks are not allowed and there are no exceptions allowed.
Q. Can I add my friend to my account without being present?
A. Yes. You must first sign an authorization form and your friend must bring the signed form into one of our branches. We can then add your friend to your account.
Q. My secretary will need to know what my checking account balance is from time to time. Can I just make a quick phone call to allow her to view my account?
A. No. We need your signed permission and that of any other signers on the account, allowing us to disclose balance information. The permission notice must include your secretary's name, his/her mother's maiden name or codeword, and his/her driver's license number or social security number.
Q. Is there any way for me to get a copy of a check that I wrote last June?
A. Yes. Each copy is $5.00 per item.
Q. When do dividends begin to accrue on my deposits?
A. Dividends begin to accrue on the business day you deposit cash and non-cash items (e.g., checks) to your account if deposited in person before the close of business.
Q. When will my deposited funds be available for withdrawal?
A. The short answer is that it depends. For complete information on when deposited funds are available for withdrawal, please read our Funds Availability Disclosure.
Q. What is the opt-in rule regarding overdraft protection?
A. Federal lawmakers have created new rules governing overdraft protection programs that went into effect for existing members on August 15, 2010. As a result of this rule change, the Santa Cruz Community Credit Union has decided to not participate in this rule change. However if we do plan on offering the program in the future, you must choose to "opt in" for automatic overdraft protection of ATM and everyday debit card transactions. Please note that this opt-in rule does not pertain to overdraft service associated with written checks or recurring debit transactions (such as bill payments and ACH withdrawals). Without opting in, your ATM and everyday debit card transactions may be declined if you attempt to make a transaction without sufficient funds.
Community Visa Credit Card
Q. What if my card is lost or stolen?
A. Call 1-800-682-6075 immediately at any time to put a block on your card.
Q. How is my credit limit determined?
A. Your initial credit limit is established on the basis of your credit experience, debts, and income.
Q. Can my credit be increased?
A. After you have used your card for at least twelve months and demonstrated an ability to repay, or your income has increased substantially, or your expenses have decreased, you are welcome to apply for an increase by submitting a Community Visa Request for Credit Limit Increase. If you need temporary additional credit, you can make a payment greater than your balance.
Q. How can I avoid paying finance charges?

No finance charges (interest) are assessed on current purchases if the balance is paid in full each month or before the payment due date shown on your statement.


If your balance is not paid in full by the due date, your next statement will include a finance charge based on purchases itemized on your current statement and prior statements. You cannot avoid finance charges on cash advances, which begin accruing on your entire balance the date the advance is posted to your account.

Q. How can I obtain cash from Visa-sponsored ATMs?
A. To receive cash at an ATM, a Personal Identification Number (PIN) is required. If you would like a PIN, please come to either of our offices or contact our Visa Coordinator. You may obtain a cash advance from Visa-sponsored ATMs only. The Visa logo appears on these machines.
Q. How can overdraft protection save me penalties?
A. Community Visa offers Santa Cruz Community Credit Union cardholders overdraft protection choices for their Santa Cruz Community Credit Union checking accounts. If you overdraw your checking account, our computer can automatically transfer a cash advance from your Community Visa credit line to cover the overdraft (if there is sufficient credit and your payment is not past due). The minimum advance is $50 and there is a $5 transfer fee. Advances are transferred in $50 increments. Finance charges accrue from the date of the advance until it is repaid.
Q. Can my Community Visa loan payments be automatically made from my Santa Cruz Community Credit Union savings or checking account?
A. Yes, if you authorize to do so in advance. Our computer can automatically transfer the Minimum Payment Due or the New Balance Due if you have not already made a payment by the due date. We strongly recommend that you choose an automatic payment option so that you never incur a Late Payment Fee. If you choose the Minimum Payment Due option, you can still make an additional payment each month to pay the outstanding balance. Every month in which you have a Minimum Payment due, even if only $.01, the Minimum Payment Due must be made in order to avoid a Late Payment Fee.
Q. How are payments applied toward my balance?

Payments are applied:

  • first to any fees that may be due,
  • then to finance charges that may be due,
  • then toward previous month's purchases,
  • then toward previous month's cash advances,
  • then toward the current month's purchases
  • and last toward the current month's cash advances
Q. Can I still get a Community Visa card if I have no credit or poor credit?
A. Possibly. On a case-by-case basis we will consider issuing a share-secured Community Visa card. This type of Community Visa card has a credit line equivalent up to 200% of frozen funds on deposit at the Santa Cruz Community Credit Union, depending upon your financial situation. Also, we will consider cosigner-secured Visa requests for members with limited credit.
Q. What is the Community Visa Donation Fund?
A. Each time you use your Community Visa card, the Credit Union deposits five cents into the Donation Fund at no cost to you. Cardholders vote on which local nonprofit organizations will receive Community Visa donation funds for the upcoming year.
Q. Where can I obtain the Visa Disclosure and Agreement form?
A. Here is the Visa Agreement please click here.and here is the Account Opening Disclosure, please click here.
Q. I would like to directly dispute items on my credit report from the Santa Cruz Community Credit Union. How can I do that?
A. You will find the complete instructions in our Credit Report Dispute Form. Please follow the instructions on this form carefully and SCCCU will begin to process your dispute form upon receiving all the required information.
Phone Banking
Q. What is the phone number for Phone Banking?
A. 831-427-5200. You can also always call the SCCCU main line, 425-7708, and then follow the prompts to get transferred to Phone Banking.
Q. Phone Banking doesn't work for me. It doesn't recognize my member number.
A. Phone Banking will not recognize a member number if you are not added to the system. It only takes a second to sign up!
Q. When I called Phone Banking I couldn't get past the member number prompt. Am I doing something wrong?
A. Make sure that you are not entering the two letters of your last name. Phone Banking will not recognize them as part of your member number. It may also be possible that you are using the wrong access code for your account. Please check with a teller or call Member Service to change it to something you can remember.
Q. I am unable to transfer money into another membership. Is there a specific service code for this?
A. Yes. The service code is 29 followed by the pound sign (#) but you and the receiver must sign a transfer agreement.
Q. Can I find out the balance of my IRA account through Phone Banking?
A. Yes. The service code is 15 followed by the pound sign (#). Then enter your IRA account number.
Q. Can I find out if my night drop deposit from last night has been posted to my account?
A. Yes. The service code for deposits is 8 followed by the pound sign (#). Phone Banking will tell you the available balance.
Q. Can I find out how much interest my CD made last year?
A. Yes. The service code for dividends received on any kind of savings account is 18 followed by the pound sign (#).
Q. Is it possible to find out if a check has cleared my account?
A. Yes you can. The service code is 17 followed by the pound sign (#). You can either press a specific check number or pound sign to hear the last three checks. (1 followed by the pound sign will allow you to hear more, endlessly.)
Q. Can I receive a withdrawal by mail?
A. Yes. Phone Banking will mail you a cashier's check in your name to the address you have on your membership.
Q. Is there a way to check on the interest paid on my loan, year-to-date?
A. Yes. The service code is 19 followed by the pound sign (#).
Q. How current is my Visa balance?
A. Unfortunately Phone Banking does not take into account transactions that are pending or payments that have not been posted to your Visa account.
Online Bill Payment
Q. Is online bill payment free?
A. Yes. The service is free and it saves you money by not needing stamps or envelopes to pay your bills.
Q. How can I sign up?

Log in to your online banking account. (If you do not have an online banking account, visit our homepage and follow the instructions for "First Time User.)


Within online banking, select the "Pay Bills" tab at the top of the screen. Please complete the form and read the service agreement. We will process your request in one to two business days. We will send you an e-mail notification when you Bill Payment account is open. If you have any questions or difficulty, please call a member service representative at 831-425-7708, ext 6.

Matricula Consular Card
Q. Can I use my Matricula Consular to open an account?
A. Yes, as long as it was issued after April 17, 2002, and it carries your current address.
Q. Where can I get a Matricula Consular card?
A. The Mexican General Consulate in San Jose issues the Matricula Consular. You can contact the Consulate directly by phone at (408) 294-3414 or by fax at (408) 294-4506.
Q. Can I wire money to Mexico if I open an account using my Matricula Consular?
A. Yes.
Q. Do you have to be a member to participate in your Community Visa Donation program?
A. Yes. To nominate an organization, you must be an SCCCU member and you must be a Community Visa cardholder to vote. If you are a nonprofit and would like to be nominated, your organization must be an SCCCU member.
Q. I have a Community Development idea. Can I contact you to discuss it?
A. If you have a Community Development idea, please write it up (half-page or full page) and email to
Wiring Money
Q. Is there a fee to wire money?
A. There is a $10 fee for incoming wires, a 35 fee for domestic outgoing wires, and $45 for foreign outgoing wires.
Q. Do you have a special wiring service to Mexico?
A. Not at the moment. The Vigo system was eliminated the September 1st, 2013. The Credit Union is seeking out alternative solutions.
Q. What do I need to give to the financial institution that will be wiring the money into my SCCCU account?
A. You will need to give them our routing number (321180939) and your member number.
Q. If I submit the wire information to the SCCCU when will the funds be received?
A. Wires submitted before noon today will be sent between 12:30 and 2:30 pm. The time that the funds will be posted at the receiving financial institution varies, depending on time zones and if we have all the correct information.
Q. Can I wire money over the phone?
A. Our policy is to not accept wires over the phone.
Q. When I wire money in or out of the country does the exchange rate occur at the SCCCU or at the corresponding financial institution?
A. The exchange rate may be calculated by the corresponding U.S. financial institution or by the foreign bank.